There are a variety of rewarding roles and responsibilities at NHCVS Breakaway Playschemes and Saturday Clubs, we currently have the following available
(Click the title for a link to the role description):
Breakaway Manager (12 months fixed term maternity contract)
Salary: £24,000 - £29,000 per annum (depending on experience)
Hours: 35 hours per week (Full time)
Location: North Herts CVS Office in Letchworth, with travel across North Herts and Stevenage
Responsible to: Executive Director
We are seeking to recruit a Manager (12 months fixed term maternity contract) for Breakaway, our respite holiday playscheme provision for disabled children across North Hertfordshire and Stevenage. This is a hugely rewarding role that would suit applicants working in the charity sector or a field related to the support of children with disabilities, such as teaching, care work, or social work. The successful applicant will have experience of working with children with a wide range of special needs as well as skills in recruiting, supervising and managing staff. You will be organised, have excellent verbal and written skills, experience of managing budgets and be able to balance conflicting priorities. Ideally, you will be trained in Hertfordshire Steps and/or understand therapeutic behaviour management. Training in emergency first aid, paediatric first aid, epilepsy, manual handling, and/ or gastro feeding would also be advantageous but not essential. In-house training is available for the right candidate.
You will be expected to support children and young people to access the play activities and support their personal care needs whilst they attend.
You must be 17 years old and over, have experience of providing play activities with children and young people (which may include family members) and have an understanding of disabilities and/or be training and studying in a related field. Enthusiasm is essential!
Employment is subject to satisfactory references and an Enhanced DBS Certificate (which will be completed in-house if you are not already on the DBS Update Service).
Our Saturday Clubs operate from 10.00 am until 3.00 pm. During school holidays we run weekday Playschemes for 4 weeks in the summer holiday, 3-5 days during the Easter and Christmas breaks and all half terms.
All work is on a session-by-session basis. We have a large bank of staff who we contact before each term to confirm availability for Saturday Clubs and prior to each holiday Playscheme. We endeavour to match each member of staff request for work, allocating sessions as fairly as possible. Confirmations of staffing will be made at least a month in advance.
Playscheme Deputy (£9.50/hour)
A Playscheme Deputy role is for people hoping to become a Play Leader but have not yet had experience in a similar role. You will be expected to undertake the duties of a Play Assistant, as well as supporting the Play Leader directly. Additional duties will include:
- stepping up as Play Leader in the event of absence of the Play Leader
- completing risk assessments and other paperwork as directed by the Play Leader
- shadowing the Play Leader in allocations of children/ staff to understand the process
The Play Leader is in charge onsite during Playschemes.
As a Play Leader, you will not usually be assigned a child/ children during schemes, but will be expected to support all staff and children throughout the day.
Your main duties will involve:
- ensuring the safety of the children throughout the day
- making sure that all equipment is safe and fit for purpose
- taking the lead in setting everything up at the beginning of a scheme and the pack-down at the end
- allocating children to staff, based on children’s needs and staff members’ skills
- reporting any accidents/ incidents to the Breakaway Manager in a timely manner
- completing appropriate paperwork for the session
- ensuring medicines are signed in and that these are administered appropriately
- greeting and signing in children in the morning and speaking with parents to establish any changes that the staff working with the children need to know
- any other duties as directed by the Breakaway Manager.
If you apply to become a Play Leader, please note that you may be required to take on the role of Deputy for a predetermined period of time to gain experience before being offered the Play Leader responsibility.
If you would like to apply for these positions please complete and return a Staff Application Form to Kathryn Thorn either via email at firstname.lastname@example.org or by post to NHCVS, Unit 30 Campus Five, Third Avenue Letchworth Garden City, Herts SG6 2JF.